Top tips for a successful National Bookstart Day event.
Find out how to host the best National Bookstart Day events possible, with advice on getting organised, choosing a venue, publicity and more!
1) Inform your local partners of the date ASAP so they can book the date in their diaries
2) Book a venue early taking into consideration:
a. Distance to travel for families
b. Family friendly timings ie: avoid school run etc.
c. Accessibility ie: on main bus/train route
d. Family facilities ie: toilets, baby changing
e. Health and safety requirements – carry out a risk assessment
f. Costs involved ie: refreshments
3) Decide whether to have a drop-in event or take bookings. If you decide to take bookings remind families that events are very popular and if for some reason they are unable to attend to let you know so that their places can be offered to another family
4) Start marketing the event internally with colleagues ASAP, and as soon as you can get posters up advertising the date, venue and timings to families
5) Circulate flyers both manually and electronically ie: via council newsletters and websites and to steering group partners to actively promote
6) Download the additional resources - including posters, colouring activities, Rhymetime sheets and more!
7) Get help from colleagues to plan and be involved in the day
8) Organise adequate staffing for the number of children expected
9) Get staff involved by asking them to dress up as characters from the At the Seaside book.
10) Speak to your press team to gain their interest and receive local publicity
11) Hold a competition locally ie: best seaside themed costume, best colouring in etc.
12) Think about stock and displays to promote National Bookstart Day
13) Invite key personnel to the event to celebrate Bookstart in your authority to ensure continued strategic commitment to the programme
14) Ensure all members of staff at the venue know that the event is taking place so that they can welcome and direct families
15) Take lots of photos, remembering to ask parents/carers to complete a Bookstart photo permission form
16) Don’t forget to evaluate the success of the event and ask families for their comments
17) HAVE FUN!