Booktouch packs for children who are blind or partially sighted
Evelyn loves the Booktouch books, especially That's Not My Kitten. The pictures are big and bold and bright so she reaches out for them before she even realises there are bits to touch. She spends ages touching and smiling!
Mum of Evelyn, age 2
Who are the packs for?
Booktouch packs are available for children who are blind or partially sighted. Children are entitled to this pack in addition to the two standard Bookstart packs.
Where can I get the Booktouch pack from?
You can collect your free Booktouch packs from your health visitor, local health clinic, early years setting or local library. Bookstart schemes also work closely with these professionals and sensory impairment teams to help make sure everyone receives the packs best suited to them.
In Northern Ireland? Contact Kathryn Anderson
What's in the packs?
There are two Booktouch packs available:
- Booktouch Baby for babies (0–2 years old)
- Booktouch for older children (2–4 years old).
Both packs contain:
- Two touch and feel books
- A Booktouch booklet of advice about sharing books with blind and partially sighted children
- A Booktouch book guide listing lots more great books
- A leaflet listing useful services related to reading
- A Bookstart Rhymetimes CD and booklet.
The Booktouch pack (for children aged 2–4 years old) also includes a book suitable for older children, This Is My Monster – a noisy touch-and-feel book with a fun, interactive story.
Find out more
- Find more books to share in the Booktouch booklist
- RNIB – national charity supporting blind and partially sighted people