Bookshine packs for children who are deaf
Elliot loves this book, it's so simple but has some good 'action' opportunities and he loves looking through his toilet roll handmade telescope!
Elliot's mum on the Bookshine pack
Who are the packs for?
Bookshine packs are available for children who are deaf. Children are entitled to this pack in addition to the two standard Bookstart packs.
Where can I get the Bookshine pack from?
You can collect your free Bookshine packs from your health visitor, local health clinic, early years setting, or local library. Bookstart schemes also work closely with these professionals and sensory impairment teams to help make sure everyone receives the packs best suited to them.
What's in the packs?
There are two Bookshine packs available:
- Bookshine Baby (0-2 years old)
- Bookshine (2-4 years old)
Both packs contain:
- Two board books
- A Bookshine booklet of advice about sharing books with deaf children
- A Bookshine book guide listing lots more great books, as well as useful organisations and resources
- A nursery rhyme place mat featuring two rhymes and photographs of babies signing
The Bookshine pack (for children aged 2–4 years old) also includes a book suitable for older children, currently Shark in the Park by Nick Sharratt. Also included is special bookmark that uses British Sign Language to sign key words from the story.
Find out more
- The National Deaf Children’s Society – the national charity dedicated to creating a world without barriers for deaf children and young people
- ITV Signed Stories – offers a growing collection of the most popular children's books to enjoy together online, complete with BSL signs, animation and even a few rather famous voices.