Top tips for sharing books with your child
Everyone can join in the fun sharing books!
Why not try these top tips?
- Sit close together when sharing a book and encourage your child to hold the book themselves and/or turn the pages
- Don’t be afraid to use funny voices – it’s a great way to make your child giggle. And don’t be afraid to sing either – they won’t care whether or not you sing in tune or know the words!
- When you talk to your child about what’s going on in a book, give them plenty of time to respond. Try to ask questions that don’t require just yes or no answers. For example, ask them what they think will happen next ask or about how a character might be feeling
- Sharing books isn’t just about the words - point to the pictures and relate them to something your child knows
- And lastly – make it fun! It doesn’t matter how you read with a child, as long as you both enjoy the time together!