Top tips for reading stories with your child
Babies are never too young to enjoy sharing books
Even tiny babies enjoy stories and rhymes. Sharing books with babies and toddlers is a great way to help them learn about their world, and talking about the pictures will help your child begin to talk.
Try to make time to enjoy books every day – you can share books anywhere, anytime and a bedtime story is a lovely way to end the day.
I really enjoy introducing my baby to books. He loves the books that we received in the pack and it has spurred me on to buy more books to share with him. It has already encouraged us to visit our local library and borrow books.
Five ways you can help your child enjoy stories and rhymes
- Take time to look together at the words and pictures in a story
- Use your hands and face as well as your voice – your child will love to see you smiling
- Use animal sounds like woof, growl and hoot – this will really help to bring the story to life
- Stories and rhymes can be shared with the whole family so why not invite siblings or other family members to join in?
- Don’t be shy, relax and enjoy – if you are having fun so will your child.